Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Drum gear Part 1: Sticks, Brushes and other implements

From time to time I get asked by students and parents about buying drums, cymbals, sticks, skins and other gear.  I don't consider myself an expert in the latest and greatest products, and I'm not in the business of reviewing or endorsing products. I have, however, been dealing with drums and drum shops for almost 20 years, I don't have an affiliation with any manufacturer, store, supplier or brand, and I do have the best interests of my students at heart (not the best interests of a music store). With that little disclaimer, here's my humble advice:

1. Sticks. 
Your starting point should be an ordinary, light-medium weight, straightforward stick.  Don't go for the pair that looks cool, the ones that glow in the dark, or the heaviest or the signature model of some famous drummer.
Where do I start? 
Walk into the shop, pick up some sticks, and see which is most comfortable. Only buy a stick that is comfortable, you're wasting your money if you don't like the feel of it. If in doubt try a 5A from one of the reputable brands (Vic Firth, Vater, Pro Mark, Zildjian). I use Vic Firth AJ3 which suits me (AJ = "American Jazz", I don't know why they don't call it "Australian Jazz").
Signature Models
Some of the best sticks are signature models, some of the best sticks aren't. Other than thebenefit to famous drummers who get a stick made to their specifications, the only benefit (to you) is that the kind of music they play might give some indication of what kind of music it's suitable for.  The Peter Erskine model and the Travis Barker model are different things, because they play different kinds of music.  Don't pick a stick with the signature of a drummer just because you like them. I've tried buying the signature sticks of some of my favourite drummers and didn't like them. Pick the stick that you like.
Wood or Nylon tip?
The decision is simple: nylon lasts a bit longer, but wood sounds better. Up to you.  I only use wood tip sticks.  
Can't I try diffent kinds?
Definitely try different kinds if you a) have the money, and/or b) aren't convinced that the sticks you use are the best for you. Most shops offer some kind of 3 for the price of 2 deal (if they don't, ask them to), try getting 2 pairs that you know and one to try.  I did this for a couple of years when I was at Sydney Con, I bought a whole bunch of useless sticks but at least I had a chance to try them.
Brands: Vic Firth, Pro Mark, Zildjian, Vater

2. Brushes
Brushes are a great part of playing the drums, and I would encourage using them.  They are not just "quiet sticks", they are quite a different piece of equipment.
Retractable or non-retractable?
The two main differences in design, as far I can tell, are the brushes that are all in one piece and the brushes that have a handle which retracts to protect the wires. People say they last longer if you have retractable ones. I've been using non-retractable brushes, without a protective case, for the best part of 10 years and they seem to last long enough if you take care of them.
Where do I start? 
Same approach as sticks: start in the middle ground, try a generic one from a reputable brand, and get one that feels good.  I use the Clayton Cameron model brush, because a) it has a decent spread of the brushes, b) it's non-retractable, which I like, c) it has a longer handle than some other brushes, and d) it works for me. That's one of the few products that I would recommend over others, but it's just my opinion.
Plastic or Wire?
Plastic brushes are no substitute for wire brushes.  Get wire brushes. If you have the money and like plastic brushes too and have a use for them, by all means get plastic brushes too.
Brands: Vic Firth, Pro Mark, Zildjian, Vater 

3. Other beaters
The other implements, other than sticks and brushes, are up to you. Most drummers I know would find good use for a pair of mallets at least. Don't expect any of these to replace your sticks or brushes entirely, they just have different sounds.
Mallets
There's a whole world of mallets out there, with diffent weights and handles and materials and purposes. A good starting point for the drum kit would be timpani or vibraphone mallets. Same rule applies - start with the ordinary ones, try them and see which ones you like. 
Rattan sticks / Vic Firth "Rute" sticks / Multi-rods
These are an interesting option in place of a stick in some circumstances.  They tend to sound better on cymbals than drums. I used these all the time when I was at school (teachers wanted me to play quietly, or something like that) but have hardly used them since.
Chopsticks
You can get cooking chopsticks from most Asian grocery stores, I live in the inner west in Sydney and there are heaps.  They're longer than table chopsticks and much thinner than drumsticks, and are good for some uses. They sound better on cymbals than drums for conventional use.  They cost about $1.10-$1.50 a pair.  While you're there see if you can get 2 Chinese rolling pins for a few bucks each, they're a pretty ok set of claves.
Plastic brushes
I mentioned these above. Not essential, but get them if you like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment